This information was received from the US Department of Labor, OFCCP on 4/21/15
OFCCP’s National Annual Benchmark for VEVRAA Now 7 Percent
OFCCP updated the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Benchmark Database on its website, based on 2014 end-of-year data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Now, the Annual National Benchmark is 7 percent – a slight drop from the previous 7.2 percent benchmark. National and state information has also been updated in the VEVRAA Benchmark Database for federal contractors and subcontractors who calculate an individualized hiring benchmark using the five-factor method.
Contractors must consider all five of these factors when developing an individualized hiring benchmark (This section has been added for the convenience of the reader, and is sourced from www.dol-esa.gov):
- The average percentage of veterans in the civilian labor force for the State where the establishment is located, for the previous three years. The Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, calculates this information regarding the general availability of veterans for employment for each State. This data is provided below in two different formats. One format displays annual data for every State, by year. While the other format shows three years of data for each individual State, by State. Note: This data is not available for Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam. Contractors in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands should select Florida data. Contractors in Guam should select Hawaii data.
- The number of veterans who participated in the employment service delivery system in the State where the establishment is located, over the previous four quarters. The Department of Labor, Veterans’ Employment and Training Service, tabulates this data regarding the number of veterans seeking jobs. This data is provided below for the most recent four quarters, as well as for previous periods. Note: This data is not available for Guam. Contractors in Guam should select Hawaii data.
- The applicant ratio and hiring ratio for the establishment for the previous year. To make these computations, use the data your company has collected to comply with section 60-300.44(k) of the revised VEVRAA regulations, which should also be included in your AAP. To calculate the applicant ratio, compare the number of protected veteran applicants to the total number of applicants. To calculate the hiring ratio, compare the number of protected veterans hired to the total number of hires.
- The most recent assessment of the effectiveness of your outreach and recruitment efforts. This information is included in your AAP.
- Any other factor, such as the nature of the job openings or the facility’s location, that would tend to affect the availability of qualified protected veterans. This factor provides contractors with the flexibility to consider any other pertinent factors about your establishment or the nature of your business that might affect the availability of qualified protected veterans as part of the process of establishing the hiring benchmark.
The Annual National Benchmark, as well as data for calculating individual hiring benchmarks, can be found at:
[btn href=”http://www.dol-esa.gov/errd/VEVRAA.jsp” color=”red” target=”_self”]VEVRAA BENCHMARK DATABASE[/btn]
Effective March 24, 2014, contractors required by VEVRAA to develop a written affirmative action program (AAP) must also establish a hiring benchmark for protected veterans each year or adopt the national benchmark provided by OFCCP. Under either approach, contractors must compare the percentage of employees who are protected veterans in each of their establishments to the hiring benchmark set for that establishment. Contractors should use the result of this comparison when assessing the effectiveness of their veteran outreach and recruitment efforts. This VEVRAA Benchmark Database provides additional information regarding the establishment of hiring benchmarks and easy access to the national and State data that may be needed to establish these benchmarks.
For more information about VEVRAA requirements:
[btn href=”http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/vevraa.htm” color=”red” target=”_self”]OFCCP[/btn]
[btn href=”http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/faqs/offaqs.htm” color=”red” target=”_self”]OFCCP FAQS[/btn]
More on Veterans and Self ID Forms (Affirmative Action Programs)
To learn more about the categories of Veterans and the Self ID Forms used during the pre-offer and post offer hiring process, please visit our blog on this subject by clicking the Learn More button below:
[btn href=”http://fosterthomas.com/new-aap-requirements-vevraa-guideline-for-government-contractors-32414/” color=”red” target=”_self”]LEARN MORE[/btn]
Navigating HR Compliance with FosterThomas HR
Our exceptional HR Management Solutions are designed to provide complete and continuous HR compliance, guidance, employee cultivation, training and administration. Gain peace of mind, knowing that your unique human resources needs are being taken care of accurately, by your team of HR experts at FosterThomas HR
[btn href=”http://fosterthomas.com/hr-management-consulting/” color=”red” target=”_self”]HR COMPLIANCE & HR MANAGEMENT CONSULTING[/btn]
For more information on Government Contractor Compliance (GovConHR), please click the link below