Effective March 1, 2016 CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield has launched CareFirst Video Visit. The video visit is initiated by the member and is positioned as part of CareFirst’s Total Care and Cost Improvement (TCCI) philosophy which increases access and removes barriers to care.
What is CareFirst Video Visit?
When your primary care provider (PCP) isn’t available, you can connect with a doctor anytime day or night through your phone, tablet or computer. It’s convenient, easy to use, private and secure.
When would I use Video Visit?
Video Visit is a great option when your primary care provider (PCP) isn’t available, or when:
- Your doctor’s office is closed
- You can’t make it to your doctor’s office, due to your busy schedule
- You are on business travel or vacation and stuck in a hotel room
- It’s difficult to get a doctor’s appointment
- You have children at home and don’t want to bring them to the doctor’s office
- You feel too sick to drive
How do I sign-up?
To visit a doctor online, download the CareFirst Video Visit app from your favorite app store or visit CareFirst Need Care and click on any of the Video Visit links to be taken to the platform landing page and register using your email address and password.
What symptoms can doctors treat through Video Visit?
CareFirst Video Visit is intended for the treatment of common, uncomplicated, non-emergency health concerns including, but not limited to:
- Cough/Sore Throat
- Respiratory Infection
- Sprains and Strains
- Sinus Infection
- Urinary Tract Infection
Which members are eligible?
- All fully insured (Risk) and self-insured (ASO) members will have access to CareFirst Video Visit upon its launch.
- Video Visit is not a covered benefit for consumer direct over 65 plans, these members will pay a $60 copay to access the service.
What is the cost to the account/group?
No additional Fee to the account/group.
What is the cost to the member?
In most cases, the cost of the visit will match a PCP sick office visit copay which varies based on benefit design. The cost will never exceed $60/visit.
How are benefits applied?
Video visits are calculated as in-network benefits and are aligned with the member’s benefit design. The copay will count towards the member’s deductible and out-of-pocket maximum, if applicable.
Who is the vendor utilized for Video Visits?
American Well: they are an independent company that provides Video Visit services. The doctors accessed via Video Visit are independent providers making their own medical determinations and are not employed by CareFirst. CareFirst does not direct the action of participating providers or provide medical advice. Online Care Network II PC is the provider practice.
Who are the Video Visit doctors?
Video Visit doctors:
- Are U.S. Board Certified, licensed and credentialed
- Average 15 years’ experience in primary and urgent care
- Have profiles, so you can see their education and practice experience
- Are rated by other patients, so you can review their ratings and select the doctor that meets your needs
For more information or to register, please go to:
[btn href=”https://member.carefirst.com/individuals/managing-health-care-costs/need-care/when-you-need-care.page?” color=”red” target=”_self”]CAREFIRST NEED CARE VIDEO VISIT[/btn]