At the time of this writing, the minimum wage in Maryland is $8.75 per hour and set to rise to $10.10 an hour by 2018. This rate applies to all businesses in the City of Baltimore with two or more employees. Based upon legislation passed in 2014, minimum wage will continue to increase to $9.25 in July 2017, and then to $10.10 in July 2018. On 3/20/17 the Baltimore City Council voted to approve a bill to increase the Baltimore minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2022*.
*Businesses with fewer than 50 employees would have until 2026 to reach that threshold.
What does this mean for employers? Understanding Exemptions and More
From Baltimore City Council’s website: There are some exemptions to the minimum wage and to overtime pay. If you are not sure if you or an employee qualify as exempt, contact the wage commission for clarification. Some individuals who may be exempt from Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay Laws include:
- Certain agricultural employees
- Executives, administrative, and professional employees
- Volunteers for educational, charitable, religious, and non-profit organizations
- Employees under 16 working less than 20 hours per week
- Outside salesman
- Commissioned employees
- Employees enrolled as a trainee as part of a public school special education program
- Non-administrative employees of organized camps
- Certain establishments selling food and drink for consumption
- Drive-in theaters
- Establishments engaged in the first canning, packing or freezing of fruits, vegetables, poultry, or seafood
At this time, it is up to the Mayor to veto or approve the proposed $15/hour minimum wage hike passed by the Baltimore City Council. FosterThomas will be watching this issue to determine how it will affect employers across the county and state.
HR Questions? Let’s Talk
If you have questions about proposed or acting minimum wage legislation in your area, contact a FosterThomas HR expert. We’ll can help you understand exemptions, overtime rules, and more.
[btn href=”http://fosterthomas.com/contact-2/” color=”red” target=”_self”]HR HELP[/btn]